Verizon Media news and trust study conducted to uncover changing news consumption patterns since COVID, new habits and attitudes towards news providers and how consumers expect brands to behave.
The pandemic has accelerated media consumption. The impact has been significant in March 2020 with +24% year on year increase in unique users to Verizon Media news properties in the UK1. And audiences continue growth trends in 2000/2021 with +10% year on year increase in unique users to Yahoo news in February 20212.
With the pandemic, people in the UK are consuming more news and online is the second most popular news source. Consumers are looking for trusted sources and traditional journalism is considered the most trustworthy source of news
Consumers expect brands to be present at this time and value brands that align with trusted news, even if it’s heavy.
- 90% of consumers approve or are indifferent to brands running ‘normal’ advertising campaigns during this time3
- 71% of consumers say that seeing brands near serious or divisive news has no impact on their feelings towards the brand3
Marketers, it is the time to take a stand and to place your brand in a sought-after trusted news environment. Create meaningful connections with valuable audiences.
1. Comscore UK , March 2020 vs March 2019 Yahoo News/Apple News/Microsoft News
2. Comscore, UK, February 2021 vs February 2020
3. News & Trust Study (2020, UK 2000 16+ Nat rep Adults)
Verizon Media is now Yahoo | Ad Tech
The content consumers love, the platforms advertisers love – all in one place. Discover the new Yahoo.
Yahoo Academy Masterclass Episode 5: Ade Hassan
In this episode of the VMA Masterclass, we talk to Nubian Skin founder Ade Hassan, MBE. Ade set up Nubian Skin for people of colour who were unable to find their own ‘nude’ lingerie products.